Introduction to Aromatic Therapies
October 19 @ 9:00 am - December 7 @ 10:00 am| $65.00
Aromatherapy is the art and science of using essential oils, hydrosols, and aromatic extracts to restore or maintain wellness of mind, body, and spirit. This course is designed to give students a foundation in the holistic and therapeutic modality of aromatherapy. Introduction to Aromatic Therapies does not require a prerequisite and is recommended for those considering a career path in aromatic therapies as well as those interested in expanding their general education for home and personal use.
This course starts Monday, October 19th and runs for eight weeks online, ending on December 7th 2020. Lessons are presented weekly using recorded lecture, PDF handouts, and resource links.
Required Text for Module One: Authentic Aromatherapy: Essential Oils and Blends for Health, Beauty, and Home by Sharon Falsetto, ISBN 978-1510706484.
- Ancient Origins of Aromatherapy – the rich history of aromatic botanicals spans thousands of years. This lesson’s activity has participants using a recipe originating from the times of plague in France.
- Modern Aromatherapy Origins – starting with the renaissance of aromatherapy in the 1900s through to today’s practice of this modality.
- Types of Aromatics – essential oils, absolutes, hydrosols, CO2 extracts, oh my! This lesson explores different kinds of aromatic plant extractions and how they’re produced.
- Quality, Purity, and Ethics in Sourcing – essential oils are not immune to overharvesting, adulateration, and improper handling techniques. This lesson explores some of the most common challenges in this area.
- Routes of Absorption – essential oils can be applied to the skin, inhaled, or taken internally. This lesson looks at these different routes of absorption.
- Cautions, Contraindications, and Safety Considerations – an overview of photoxicity, condition and medication interactions, and other safety issues including special populations like very ill and frail, pregnancy, and pediatrics.
- The Aromatic Monograph – an in-depth look at profiles of aromatics and how to create your own.
- The Aromatic Monograph Continued – continuation of writing an essential oil profile.