Introduction to Aromatic Therapies
May 23 @ 8:00 am - July 18 @ 10:00 am| $65 – $70
Aromatherapy is the art and science of using essential oils, hydrosols, and aromatic extracts to restore or maintain wellness of mind, body, and spirit. This course is designed to give students a foundation in the holistic and therapeutic modality of aromatherapy. Introduction to Aromatic Therapies does not require a prerequisite and is recommended for those considering a career path in aromatic therapies as well as those interested in expanding their general education for home and personal use.
This course starts Thursday, May 23rd, 8am-10am CDT and runs for eight weeks, ending on July 18th (no class July 4th). Lessons are presented in two hour increments in a live video classroom. You’ll be able to join the class from your smartphone or tablet via an app or from your desktop/laptop equipped with a webcam and microphone. Students will have access to recorded lessons that are uploaded in a day or two following the live class. It is not mandatory to attend live classes.
Required Text for Module One: Authentic Aromatherapy: Essential Oils and Blends for Health, Beauty, and Home by Sharon Falsetto, ISBN 978-1510706484.
Each week you’ll have access to a new lesson, which includes:
- A live video presentation, recorded for later review
- Reading assignments
- A lesson activity to get you working with aromatics
- Resource links from the video presentation
- Origins of Aromatherapy – a look at the history of aromatics from ancient to modern times.
- Types of Aromatics – explore the variety of aromatic extracts including essential oils, absolutes, CO2 extracts, hydrosols, and how they’re produced.
- Quality, Purity, and Ethics in Sourcing – what consumers will want to know when sourcing aromatic extracts.
- Basic Essential Oil Chemistry – an exploration in the compounds that make up these volatile aromatics.
- Routes of Absorption – a look at the science behind topical, inhaled, and internal dose forms.
- Cautions, Contraindications, and Safety Considerations – an overview of photoxicity, condition and medication interactions, and other safety issues.
- Special Populations – applications and considerations from the very ill and frail, pregnancy, and pediatrics.
- The Aromatic Monograph – an in-depth look at profiles of aromatics and how to create your own.