Introduction to Hydrosols
March 26 @ 10:00 am - April 16 @ 2:00 pm| $175.00
Four Week Course: Introduction to Hydrosols
2020 SPRING SEMESTER: Running Thursdays, March 26th-April 16th, with no breaks.
Hydrosols are the aromatic distillate obtained in steam/hydro distillation of aromatic plants. Used in aromatherapy to restore or maintain wellness of mind, body, and spirit, hydrosols have a variety of applications and uses. Students will participate in live distillations of botanicals and formulate take-home products for personal use.
Course Goal: Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to: understand and employ hydrosols in cosmetic, culinary, and therapeutic applications. Understand and explain safety, contraindications, and cautions of hydrosol use to the community. Intro to Hydrosols is part of The Barefoot Dragonfly 200-hour practitioner course designed to prepare students for a career path as an aromatic therapies practitioner, or aromatherapist. No prerequisite is required for students to attend this course.
Class Location: The Barefoot Dragonfly studio located at 7601 Pheasant Rock Road, Austin, TX 78729.
Class Hours: 16
- Aromatic Waters: Therapeutic, Cosmetic, and Culinary Hydrosol Applications by Amy Kreydin – paperback copies available for purchase on the first day of class in the studio or ebook available through Amazon Kindle.
- Writing paper and utensils should be brought to each class.
Students should refrain from wearing perfume or scented products to the classroom to avoid disrupting organoleptic tests for themselves and classmates. Light snacks are provided, students are encouraged to bring a sack lunch.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify the extraction and production methods and quality control for authentic, pure hydrosols and the differences between artisanal hydrosols and biowaste water in the production of essential oils.
- Demonstrate organoleptic testing process for both taste and odor of authentic hydrosols.
- Formulate cosmetic, culinary, and therapeutic products featuring hydrosols.
- List scenarios when hydrosols would be indicated instead of essential oils for an aromatic therapy application.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current information on safety guidelines, including special guidelines for children, pregnancy, and the ill.
General Class Structure: The class will be conducted once a week on Thursdays between 9:00am and 1:00pm. During these practicum sessions, students will develop their practical skills and discuss any challenges they encounter with respect to new material.
Methods of Instruction: The class will be taught with a combination of audiovisual presentations using overhead projector, whiteboard or paper chart, lecture, demonstration, and laboratory.