Introduction to Reflexology – Unit One
September 14 - November 6| $275 – $280
Reflexology is a gentle bodywork modality that encourages the body towards homeostasis in all physical and energetic systems. Primary benefits include deep relaxation, improved circulation, and an enhanced sense of well-being.
Introduction to Reflexology is a combined in-person and online course, part of The Barefoot Dragonfly’s 300-hour Professional Reflexology Certificate program. There are no prerequisites to this module and registration is open twice a year – in the Spring and in the Fall.
Autumn 2020 Schedule
Enrollment is now open for the Autumn 2020 semester. Six, self-paced lessons are delivered weekly in the virtual classroom beginning on on Monday, September 14th, 2020. In-studio practicum lessons are scheduled for Thursday, November 5th and Friday, November 6th from 9am-5pm.
About the Lessons
There are eight lessons in this module:
- Reflexology Origins – ancient and modern history of this pressure point modality.
- Reflexology Theories – exploring how reflexology works.
- Forms of Reflexology – while this program covers hands-on experience in feet, hands, and ears, this lesson looks at other maps as depicted on the face, tongue, and eyes.
- Reflexology Wellness Model – where reflexology fits into lifestyle medicine.
- Structure and Function of the Foot and Lower Leg – the anatomy and physiology of the lower extremities.
- Preparing for a Session – observing the feet, contraindications and cautions, and setting up a therapy room.
- Practicum Day One – first day of practicum study held at the studio in Northwest Austin.
- Practicum Day Two – second day of practicum study held at the studio in Northwest Austin.
The first six lessons are delivered in a self-paced format with recorded video lectures, activities, worksheets, reading assignments, and quizzes. Lessons seven and eight are scheduled as practicum classes held here in the studio in Northwest Austin.
- Therapeutic Reflexology: A Step-by-Step Guide to Professional Competence by Paula S. Stone, ISBN: 9780131579248 – as of January 2019 this textbook is no longer in print, until the second edition is published the author has given permission for Amy to print B&W copies which are available at cost to students ($35)
- Stories the Feet Can Tell Thru Reflexology / Stories the Feet Have Told Thru Reflexology by Eunice Ingham, ISBN: 0961180439
- Bring to in-person classes:
- Note taking aids
- Sack lunch (herbal tea and light snacks are provided)
About this Course
This course will provide an overview of the history and theories, the structure and function of the foot and lower leg, foot assessment, and techniques employed in this modality. Students will practice techniques on classmates during the in-person portion of the class.
Introduction to Reflexology: Module One is part of The Barefoot Dragonfly’s 300-hour Professional Reflexology Certificate program. Students complete theory lessons online and attend practicum lessons and clinical reviews in person at our Austin, Texas studio.
The 300 hour course meets the educational guidelines set forth by the Reflexology Association of America (RAA),and prepares students to sit for the American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB) national board exam.