Introduction to Reflexology – Fall 2021
August 23 @ 9:00 am - October 15 @ 5:00 pm| $275 – $280
Reflexology is a gentle bodywork modality that encourages the body towards homeostasis in all physical and energetic systems. Primary benefits include deep relaxation, improved circulation, and an enhanced sense of well-being.
Introduction to Reflexology is a combined in-person and online course, part of The Barefoot Dragonfly’s 300-hour Professional Reflexology Certificate program. There are no prerequisites to this module and registration is open twice a year – in the Spring and in the Fall.
Fall 2021 Schedule
Enrollment is now open for the Fall 2021 semester. This unit consists of six online lessons and two practicum days in the studio starting on Monday, August 23rd, 2021.
Key Dates for Fall 2021 Intro to Reflexology:
- Reflexology Origins lesson will be a live Zoom lecture on Monday, August 23rd at 9am, recording will be made available to those with schedule constraints.
- Structure and Function of the Foot and Lower Leg lesson will be a live Zoom lecture on Monday, September 20th, 9am-1pm.
- Practicum Days One and Two will be held here in the studio in Austin on Thursday, October 14th and Friday, October 15th, from 9am to 5pm, both days.
About the Lessons
There are eight lessons in this module:
- Reflexology Origins – ancient and modern history of this pressure point modality.
- Reflexology Theories – exploring how reflexology works.
- Forms of Reflexology – while this program covers hands-on experience in feet, hands, and ears, this lesson looks at other maps as depicted on the face, tongue, and eyes.
- Reflexology Wellness Model – where reflexology fits into lifestyle medicine.
- Structure and Function of the Foot and Lower Leg – the anatomy and physiology of the lower extremities.
- Preparing for a Session – observing the feet, contraindications and cautions, and setting up a therapy room.
- Practicum Day One – first day of practicum study held at the studio in Northwest Austin.
- Practicum Day Two – second day of practicum study held at the studio in Northwest Austin.
The first six lessons are delivered in a self-paced format with recorded video lectures, activities, worksheets, reading assignments, and quizzes. Lessons seven and eight are scheduled as practicum classes held here in the studio in Northwest Austin.
- Stories the Feet Can Tell Thru Reflexology / Stories the Feet Have Told Thru Reflexology by Eunice Ingham, ISBN: 0961180439
- The Complete Guide to Reflexology, Second Edition, Ruth Hull, 2021 – ISBN: 978-1913088118
- The Complete Guide to Reflexology Workbook, Second Edition, Ruth Hull, 2021 – ISBN: 978-1913088149
- Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathology for Therapists and Healthcare Professionals, Second Edition, Ruth Hull, 2021 -ISBN: 978-1913088057
- Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathology Workbook for Therapists and Healthcare Professionals, Second Edition, Ruth Hull, 2021 – ISBN: 978-1905367986
- Bring to in-person classes:
- Note taking aids
- Sack lunch (herbal tea and light snacks are provided)
About this Course
This course will provide an overview of the history and theories, the structure and function of the foot and lower leg, foot assessment, and techniques employed in this modality. Students will practice techniques on classmates during the in-person portion of the class.
Introduction to Reflexology: Module One is part of The Barefoot Dragonfly’s 300-hour Professional Reflexology Certificate program. Students complete theory lessons online and attend practicum lessons and clinical reviews in person at our Austin, Texas studio.
The 300 hour course meets the educational guidelines set forth by the Reflexology Association of America (RAA),and prepares students to sit for the American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB) national board exam.
Studying in a Pandemic
This will by my fourth semester teaching Reflexology in a pandemic and the key word I’ve found is flexibility. Many students travel from out of town to study with me, and some travel from out of state. Please note that travel restrictions have remained a theme throughout the pandemic. Practicum dates are subject to rescheduling to account for changes in viral spread, community, and the needs of students and educator. Join me via Zoom for a Reflexology Program Open House on Monday, August 2nd at 9am.